Resources for quick learning and skill acquisition. . .
Chart a New Course
- Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career by Tim Clark, Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2012. This book applies business model thinking to you and your career. It provides tools to help you assess who you are and what you can do, shifting focus from skills to the value you provide, and helps you create a single-page personal business model blueprint to reinvent your career.
- Cuyahoga Community College Encore 55+ Adult Programs – Provides education for individuals 55 and older with on- and off-campus experiences. LEARN MORE >>
- Encore.org – A national organization that leverages the skills and talents of experienced adults to improve communities and the world. It shares stories to create a new narrative for later life, connects people in later life with work opportunities that benefit society, serves as a hub for leaders to share the encore vision, and provides programs to showcase the encore vision. LEARN MORE >>
- Geauga County Public Library and other public libraries – Public libraries offer books, audio/video items, databases and online resources to help chart a new course. Libraries also provide free access to online training resources such as Lynda.com from anywhere using a library card number and an internet connection. LEARN MORE >> Or contact your local library.
- How I Built This with Guy Raz Audio Podcast Series – National Public Radio’s Guy Raz dives into the stories behind some of the world's best known companies and weaves a narrative journey about the innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists who built them. LEARN MORE >>
- RetirementJobs.com – A search engine that publishes job listings from thousands of employers nationwide selected for the age 50+ seeker. It also publishes volunteer jobs for people age 50+ and provides career advice articles and tips. Topics include finding a job, self-employment, the benefits of temporary work, working while retired, and more LEARN MORE >>
Learn/Update Technical Skills
- Cuyahoga Community College Corporate College – Provides professional and development programs pertaining to organization development, health care industry solutions, manufacturing technical training, quality and business process improvement, information technology, and project management. LEARN MORE >>
- Cuyahoga Community College Workforce Development – Provides employee training programs, professional development, lifelong learning opportunities, and community service opportunities in traditional and online training formats. LEARN MORE >>
- Lakeland Community College Nonprofit and Public Service Center – Provides educational and professional development programs for individuals and organizations serving Northeast Ohio’s nonprofit and public service sectors. It offers customized services such as strategic planning, board development, and executive and leadership coaching, and also sponsors events for networking, dialogue, and collaboration. LEARN MORE >>
- Lakeland Community College Small Business Development Center – Partners with companies to deliver job-related education, training, and technical services for area industry, business, and government organizations. LEARN MORE >>
Acquire Social and Emotional Skills: Managing Self and Relationship with Others Effectively
- Fifty-Five, Unemployed, and Faking Normal: Your Guide to a Better Retirement Life by Elizabeth White. Self-published, 2016. Elizabeth White, a Harvard MBA and former C-suite executive, describes the emotional turmoil people face when their careers collapse at age 50. The book includes more than 100 online references and shares the wisdom of hundreds of Boomers who, despite monumental financial challenges, are finding ways navigate through the rubble to put together the best possible plan B.